Monday, May 17, 2010

The Old Ewe in Danger

I suppose it is the nature of a sheep to underestimate the power of the wolf, or bear or lion. There he lurks just behind the tall grass, over by the boulder. Patiently he waits, not moving a muscle. He waits for the sheep to get used to him and to the fact that he isn't bothering her just now. He waits for the sheep to wander ever so slightly away from the rest of the flock, away from the protection of the crowd or the nearness of the shepherd.
The intention of the wolf, or bear or lion, isn't to play tricks on the sheep. He isn't out to make life difficult for the sheep. His intent is to eat her. He wants to capture and kill and eat her for lunch.

I am just an old ewe. What do I know? I know to stay close to the Shepherd. I have seen many a careless youngster go down in a flash and eaten in an instant. I have seen the subtly of the enemy, the strength and yes, the beauty of the beast, just waiting to pounce.
And I am a tired old ewe and that is what makes me the most vulnerable now. It is my tiredness that the enemy uses on me. He whispers words that tired ears, dusty ewe ears have a hard time fighting against.
So I pause, and drink a long draft from the springs of Living Waters that refresh and remind me just who my Shepherd is. I have been reminded that to Him, I am a dear old ewe. He loves me more dearly than I love Him.
So while the enemy is relentless and I am powerless, the Shepherd is far more dangerous to the lion than the lion is to Him. His overwhelming love is a powerful reason for me to stay good and close to Him. For His staff comforts me and His rod is a sight to behold when it is being used against the wolf.
So today, I am lying down in the green pastures of His love and protection.

No comments: