Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Old and the New Ewe

I was a teenager attending a youth meeting. In fact, it was the very first youth meeting I had ever been to. I had been invited by the pastor's daughter and so dutifully showed up on time.
Can you imagine my shock? I entered the dimly lit room where benches had been lined up, candles were the only light, and in the front stood a black box that, yes, looked just like a coffin.
I sat down in a state of confusion. If I remember correctly, my friend, (you know, the pastor's daughter) got up and started to talk. Sure enough, it was a mock funeral. There was a "person" in the coffin, looking as white and dead as could be. This Old man was dead. The eulogy was spoken, as if it was a good thing this person had died. No regrets.
All of a sudden the person in the coffin, (I thought it was a dummy) leaped up, arms extended to the sky, and he shouted for joy. I jumped a foot. I wasn't sure this was so funny.
Then the lesson began. A strange tale I had never heard before, never considered. There was a me, and same-old me, that was meant to die. And there was the possibility of a new me, a forever changed me that could be born. It was the first time I had ever heard the term, "born again."
That was over forty five years ago. I am still trying to understand the reality of it on a day to day basis.
This old ewe, is a new ewe made new all the time by the Spirit of Christ living in me. It was Christ who was crucified for me, so that He, who is God could be God in my life. He was meant to make me into the new ewe He had always meant for me to be all along. A new ewe living in the power of Christ and no longer in the power of the old ewe.
The old ewe is dead, the new ewe will live today in the strength of that realization. Let the old be made new for you.

No comments: